I have been on a quest to come up with ways to make gluten free meals and as much grain free meals as possible. I also am trying to reduce the carbohydrate in my eating habits yet still enjoy the flavor of starch. I found that cauliflower is a great substitute for potato and bread. I also love the high fiber content of cauliflower which is good for my digestion.
Cauliflower is an excellent source of vitamin C, vitamin K, folate, pantothenic acid, and vitamin B6. It is a very good source of choline, dietary fiber, omega-3 fatty acids, manganese, phosphorus, and biotin. Additionally, it is a good source of vitamin B2, protein, vitamin B1, niacin, and magnesium.
|6 cups||Cauliflower florets (minced)|
|6 oz||Shredded parmesan cheese|
|Salt and pepper||To taste|
|2 tablespoon||Olive Oil or Coconut oil|
- Combine cauliflower with eggs, shredded parmesan cheese, salt and pepper
- Microwave for 3-4 min until cooked.
- Process the mixture in a blender to a course texture.
- Spray or brush cooking pan with oil (I like coconut oil because it handles high heat better than olive oil and taste better than canola oil)
- Heat oven to 400 degree
- Spread cauliflower mixture into a bite size round/flat pieces (like a cookie size)
- Spray or brush oil the top of the bite size round flats
- Put into over for 30-40 minute and bake until golden brown
- Take out and cool for 5-10 minutes
- Put your toppings and serve
Cauli-Flats are gluten free and low calorie favorite of the Eat, Grow and Share community. We wanted something that allows us to enjoy the decadence of pizza like flavors without the gluten, carb or calorie. Check out the following toppings so that you can enjoy this summer time snack or mini-meals for the whole family. It is versatile.
Bruschetta Cauli-Flats Topping: serving 4
|4 medium size||Tomatoes (chopped)|
|6 leafs||Fresh sweet basil (chopped or shredded)|
|1 teaspoon||Olive oil|
|To taste||Salt and pepper|
- Mix tomatoes, basil, olive oil, and salt and pepper in a bowl
- Let stand for 5 min to allow the flavors to mature
- Scoop 1 tablespoon of mixture on top of Cauli-flats and serve.
This is a healthy alternative to the carbohydrate-laden bruschetta. Take advantage of the summer herbs and tomato season. Cauli-Flats is gluten free and lower calorie than bread.