Zucchini, Bell Pepper and Kale Salad in Balsamic Vinaigrette
Zucchini, Bell Pepper and Kale Salad in Balsamic Vinaigret
This is a season of zucchini and bell peppers. Kale is always in season somehow…. What to do with these harvest to provide something refreshing and cool during the summer??? Salad of course. Balsamic vinaigrette is the best alternative to the rich/fatty dressing. So easy and flavorful; even your kids will like.
- Zucchini is one of the very low calorie vegetables; provide only 17 calories per 100 g. It contains no saturated fats or cholesterol. Its peel is good source of dietary fiber that helps reduce constipation and offers some protection against colon cancers.
- Zucchinis have anti-oxidant value (Oxygen radical absorbance capacity- ORAC) of 180 Trolex Equivalents (TE) per 100g, the value which is far below to some of the berries, and vegetables. Nonetheless, the pods are one of the common vegetables included in weight reduction and cholesterol control programs by the dieticians.
- Furthermore, zucchinis, especially golden skin varieties, are rich in flavonoid poly-phenolic antioxidants such ascarotenes, lutein and zea-xanthin. These compounds help scavenge harmful oxygen-derived free radicals and reactive oxygen species (ROS) from the body that play a role in aging and various disease processes.
- It is a very good source of potassium, an important intra-cellular electrolyte. Potassium is a heart-friendly electrolyte and helps bring the reduction in blood pressure and heart rates by countering pressure-effects of sodium.
- Fresh fruits are rich in vitamin A; provide about 200 IU per 100 g.
- Fresh pods, indeed, are good source of anti-oxidant vitamin-C. Provide about 17.9 µg or 30% of daily-required levels per 100 g.
- In addition, they contain moderate levels of B-complex group of vitamins like thiamin, pyridoxine, riboflavin and minerals like iron, manganese, phosphorus, and zinc.
|1 large or 2 medium size||Zucchini (cut into bite size)|
|3 each||Bell Pepper (cut into bite size)|
|2 bunch||Kale (cut out the stems and chop the leaves into bite size)|
|2 Tablespoons||Olive Oil|
|1 pinch||Sea Salt|
|¼ cup||Balsamic Vinaigrette|
|To taste||Black ground pepper|
To prepare the kale to reduce the bitter taste: in a large bowl combine kale and sea salt and squeeze the kale until the oil is release and the kale become a bright green.
Add the Zucchini and bell peppers and toss with olive oil, balsamic vinaigrette and black pepper;
Chill the salad in the refrigerator for 30 minutes and serve with grilled chicken or eat as is.